Sunday 28 August 2011

Car Thing

Here's some pictures of a post apocalyptic car thing I was messing about with.

First up the car itself.


I wanted to add a figure to stand alongside the car and had a go at making one at 1/24 scale. I drew out a basic shape to have as a guide and template and used Sculpey which is a material I struggle with as it's a bit soft for me. (But I would like to add this is not a criticism as I am pretty useless at sculpting).



The facial features were too softly realised in the Sculpey so I sculpted another one out of Milliput. This was going okay, but unfortunately the Milliput did not blend with with the Sculpey and the head became damaged and could not be used.



So I reverted back to Sculpey and once again the end results of the face came out too soft and undefined with my efforts.



Some things I've learned about all this. I like Sculpey as you don't need to mix it with a hardener and can just get on with it. It won't air dry or harden and sets only when you oven bake it which allots anyone a lot of time to work with it.

Milliput is a nice material to work in, but you have to mix it with its hardener, which is easy in small pea to marble sized doses, but can be a little challenging in larger doses. It is very firm and works wonderfully with water smoothing and does not crack like reguler Clay might, especially in very thin densities, but you have at best a 3 hour window to work in before it hardens.

My overall thought is that I would very much like to try this exercise again using what I believe is called Firm Super Sculpey, which is a grey color and perhaps more akin for this sort of thing. Hopefully I will be able to track some down in the near future and give it a go.

No comments:

Post a Comment