Sunday 25 September 2011

AMT/ERTL TIE Fighter

This was one of the first models I ever constructed, the AMT/ERTL TIE Fighter. Though only one ship is pictured the release is a great two kit set with a Death Star tile base and got me back into the hobby. It's probably around 1/48 scale and quite small for pictures.




A few years later I had one of those desires that causes you to carry out silly ideas, in this case try and build a bigger TIE to get better details for photography.



Why was it was a silly idea, well, essentially due to the lack of resources available locally. There's no real stockist or access to standard modelling supplies round here, so the main options are materials like automotive filler, cardboard and matchsticks and its just awkward and a bit too ambitious for the requirement so I didn't get or pursue it very far. Desires like that can be grounding though. They make you reevaluate things and tend to bring an appreciation for what you have as opposed to what you can't have. I imagine that happens a lot with hobbies, and you have to soothe that initial impulse and move on to other things, otherwise you get stuck and that wouldn't be much fun. On the other hand it could also be argued that abandonment might be an exercise to avoid thinking. I reckon in my case, its probably a little of both.

No comments:

Post a Comment